Thursday, November 30, 2006

i amsterdam!

Just got back from Amsterdam this morning and after 2 hours of disturbed sleep, I decided to just forget about sleeping and watch TV.

Met up with Aleskander after I suddenly remembered that he was posted to Holland for work a couple of years back. Forced him to head out to Amsterdam and meet me. So we headed down to the Van Gogh Museum early in the morning, and spent a good 3 hours there.

It's amazing how Van Gogh depicts life in a way that others cannot fathom. Why did he see life in grey, despite painting in colours? What drove him to depression? Why does one get famous only after death? But I learnt a lot about the man himself, and many others who followed in his works. I must say, I am intrigued. To the extent that I am actually thinking of going to Arles or Auvers to take a look at where Van Gogh used to spend most of his life in.

Alesk was patient enough to sit out the whole Van Gogh 'discovery' journey with me, well... I didn't speak to him much during the time spent in the museum cos I was so engrossed in the audio guide that I had. Headed to the Albert Cuyp Market... lunched, walked abit before he had to head back to work. So I strolled alone, and walked, and got lost in the sights and the quaint little shops.. until I realised it was getting dark and I should head back to the hotel. I took out the map, looked at the streets and couldn't find the name on my map. Headed into the nearest shop, map in hand and asked the lady where I was. She took the map, stared at it for a good 5 minutes, turned it around, looked at me and said, "Miss, I think you're no longer on the map."

And then I backtracked, and at a junction, I stopped to take out my map again, this Dutch guy cycled up to me and asked, "Hey, do you know where you are?" I thought my knight in shining armour had arrived to send me back to the hotel, but not wanting to look weak, I answered brightly and confidently with a smile, "Yeah sure! Thanks!" ... and then he said, "Oh cool, because I don't know where I am and I'm trying to get to Lindchguacht." ... So much for chivalry. I gave him directions and went on my way.

Sometimes I enjoy long walks alone. Gives one enough time to think. Or too much time to think? I don't know. But it feels darn good to just enjoy the solitude, not having to bother about what to talk about, not having to entertain people when you don't feel like it, and just doing the things you want to and not follow what someone else wants to do.

Clears one's mind and soul.

No comments: