Thursday, August 18, 2005

A pleasant surprise...

I just had someone from my past visit me.

Lawrence is an ex boyfriend who became a very good friend after a while. We were together when I was in secondary 2 (if my memory doesn't fail me) and we parted cos I found out he was two-timing me after 3 weeks being together. Or rather, he didn't part with his then-girlfriend before we got together, and all of this, I didn't know. Well, I wasn't that into him then, cos when I was young, I had boyfriends for the sake of having them. Yes I did have feelings for him, but they weren't deep enough for me to want to cry a river for him. After that he did try to get back together with me, but since he had to go back to Italy with his family, I thought that would never ever work out, so we remained friends. Till today.

He used to be very cute-looking, being an Eurasian (Dad's Italian, Mum's Shanghainese) and now, he looks great! The last time I saw him was during my poly days, when he came here for a short business trip. All the while he's been a very caring friend, whenever I am upset he would send me nice little notes via email, sms, snail mail... very sweet little gestures which made me feel loved.

Then when I was in my last relationship, our friendship faltered a little. Lawrence was busy with work, and I, busy with maintaining my relationship and being in love. Our frequent emails became once-in-a-while kinda stuffs, and I didn't even get to meet him when he came here once.

And when I was very very heartbroken last year, he called from Italy when he heard about it from a common friend and chatted with me till dawn, AND made the effort to visit me even when he was in Singapore for just a short 3 hour transit.

It's almost like we've been in a "long-term" relationship for close to, 8 years? But I guess things wouldn't have worked out if I had chosen to go back to him then. Trust was a big issue, and maintaining a long-distance relationship? Tough work baby.

He came by with my favourite favourite wine, and chocolates! I could fall in love with him there and then, but...

I can't.

And he knows it.

So, sigh. I'm doomed to remain single forever.

No comments: